TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION PDF INFORMATION PAGE
The old paper Travel Authorization (TA) form has been replaced with a new TA pdf document.
A couple of special notes about the new form:
- You can now fill out the form on your computer - no more handwriting or using ancient typewriters!
- The new form is actually two-part: Pre-Travel and Post Travel.
- You will save each new TA form to your own computer.
- We aren't quite set up for electronic approvals, so you will have to print out the forms and obtain authorizing signatures before sending it to the Travel Office (UMC 2400).
Please remember that upon receiving the TA, the Travel Office has five business days to process your TA.
The Pre-Travel portion of the new TA serves several functions:
- The Pre-Travel Authorization form (Pre-TA form) should be completed with signatures and turned in to the Travel Office before travel occurs.
- Completing Pre-TA forms (including obtaining authorizing signatures) ensures that the traveler:
- is covered for liability reasons,
- has been approved for the travel, and
- agrees with the travel plan and cost estimate.
- In addition, the Pre-TA form is used to:
- Reimburse pre-trip expenses. For example, reimbursing a faculty member for airplane tickets he purchased in July on his own personal credit card for a trip that will occur in October.
- Request cash advances (students or international travel for faculty/staff).
- Submit Christopherson airfare information.
- The Pre-TA form is not returned to the department.
- The Travel Office will scan the document into an imaging database.
- Departments should keep a photocopy of the completed and signed Pre-TA form for their own records, you will not get them back.
Pre-TA form Instructions
Make sure that you have at least version 8 of Adobe Reader. To download the most current version, go to http://www.adobe.com/
Please click on the following link to access the TA pdf form: TA pdf form link
(Make sure to save the file to you computer, it will not work in chrome.)
TA Number and Preparer Information (upper right corner of the Pre-TA form)
- Click on the link that reads "Generate TA Number." This will take you to another screen where your new TA number resides. Copy the TA Number and hit the "back" arrow in your internet browser. Paste the TA number in the designated box. Please make sure that it copies 6 digits onto the form. For some reason we are getting 5 digits on some forms and this needs to be a 6 digit number. (You may want to write the number down on a scrap paper before going back to the TA screen.)
- As soon as your form has its TA number, immediately save the form to your computer. This will keep your TA number saved. You will complete the rest of the form where you have it saved on your computer. Do this by clicking on the disc icon on the menu bar, save in a designated folder you have created for TA's on your hard drive. Close your internet browser and open the TA from the designated folder on your computer. You will still need to save when you are done filling it out. If you are submitting Christopherson Airfare complete all information in section 3B then save, close and reopen. .
- Fill out the preparer information:
- Prepared by
- Phone Ext
- Preparer's e-mail address
Section 1 Traveler Information
- Before filling in the Name of the Traveler and his/her Banner ID (A#), make sure that you have the exact spelling of the traveler's name as it exists in Banner and that it correlates to the A#. Doing this one simple step helps ensure that travelers receive their reimbursements quickly.
- If you have an A# for the traveler:
- Go to Banner screen FAIVNDH and do a query on the traveler by entering in their A#. This allows you to:
- Get the exact spelling of the traveler's name
- By using the exact spelling of the traveler's name as it exists in Banner, the Travel Department will not have to contact you to make sure that Ronald R. Smith is the same person as Ron Smith.
- If you do not have an A# for the traveler:
- Type in the Traveler's full name, including any middle initials.
- Type in the Traveler's SSN where it asks for the Banner ID.
- At the bottom of the form under Department Comments, please type in the traveler's birth date.
The Travel Office needs as much information as possible to create an A#.
Section 2 Travel Plan
- Please fill out all requested information. Provide as much detail as is possible, dates and destination of travel are required.
Traveler's Signature & Date
- The traveler's signature and date are required to indicate his/her agreement with the travel plan and cost estimate.
- If your traveler is not available to sign, please type in:
- Traveler not available to sign, or type N/A
Section 3A Funding Approval
- Section 3A must be completed with the index(es), account codes and approval signatures that will be charged for the travel expenses.
- SOS refers to the international travel insurance premium. Do not fill this area out if the trip does not involve international travel. More information about the SOS program can be found on the USU Risk Management web page here: http://www.usu.edu/riskmgt/other/international.cfm
- For international travel:
- Employee cost is $50 per trip.
- Calculate student and volunteer cost:
# of students/volunteers X the # of days in international country X $1.25
- For Motor Pool
- A phone call needs to be placed to Motor Pool to reserve a vehicle. Between the time the reservation is made and the vehicle is picked up, a copy of the signed Pre Travel Authorization needs to be given to Motor Pool. Many individuals choose to bring the TA with them when they pick up the vehicle. Other departments that need a vehicle on a frequent basis may give MP and open TA.
- From the information on the TA, the index # and TA # are entered into the FLEET system. When the vehicle is returned, the mileage is entered and the reservation is closed. The index number is billed during the month end closing process.
- The preparer still needs to send the Travel Office a copy of the Pre TA for our records as well.
- Index and account codes are required for pre-trip reimbursement or cash advances.
- The account administrator must sign his/her approval for each index listed in this section.
- Dollar amounts and/or percentages may be used for breaking out charges; dollar amounts must be used prior to percentages.
Section 3B Pre-Travel Expenses
- To get the 8 digit Authorization code you must fill in % (if you only have one index then this still needs to be filled with 100%), then Index and Account information in Box 3B.
- Scroll over the "Submit" buttons next to Agency charged airfare for instructions and details.
- Click the submit button to the right then make sure to send the email. Once the email is sent the 8 digit code populates under Christopherson Travel heading.
- This email comes to the Travel Office and does not count as your reservation. You still need to call Christopherson and book your travel with one of their agents, where you will need the TA# and your 8 digit Authorization code.
- Agency charged airfare can only be entered by percentage. Dollar amounts cannot be submitted. Service fees are always incurred when using an agency for travel. Such service fees could include, but are not limited to, the initial charge of $25, a change in flight, cancellation, etc.
Airport Shuttle/Cache Valley Limo:
- A personal credit card number (which includes the Diner's Card issued through the University) or a University Travel Card must be provided to Airport Shuttle Services when booking their services. Please provide the TA number associated with the reservation so that you may receive the discounted University rate.
- If reimbursement is being requested pre-travel, check the Reimb Now box. If the Reimb Now box is not checked, there will be no reimbursements made pre-travel
- By using Banner Screen FAIVNDH, a preparer or traveler can check the traveler's A# to see amounts paid to them and when.
Cash Advances :
- Cash advances:
- Student cash advances require the application forms.
- Faculty cash advances for International Travel only.
- Team or group Cash Advance.
- Please Specify on the Pre Travel when the advance is needed and why.
- Student cash advances require the following form to be completed and attached to the pre-TA form: (http://www.usu.edu/controller/acctpay/forms/CheckRequest-StudentTravel.pdf)
- Advances are never charged to department indexes.
- All advances are provided through the Controller's Office index.
- After travel has completed and the Post-TA form has been turned in to the Travel Office, travel expenses will be used to offset the advance and the department index(s) will be charged.
- When a cash advance has been given, it is possible for travel expenses to:
* equal the advance,
* exceed the advance (generating reimbursement to the traveler), or
* be less than the advance (generating money owed to the Controller's Office)
- Please allow 5 business days to process cash advances.
- Cash advance checks will be held at the Travel Office to be picked up, unless otherwise specified, or Direct Deposit. Please bring ID.
- If you have auto at agency airfare that you want to record as an estimated expense, please use the "Other-Specify" box.
Section 3C Pre-Travel Authorization
Print the Pre-TA form and obtain required signatures. Keep a copy for your department records. Send the original to the Travel Office at UMC 2400.
- Travel Authorizer: Someone who is at least one supervisory level above the traveler. Travelers may never approve their own travel.
- Required Signatures
- Dean or Director Signature required.
- Out of State Travel NOT on State Appropriated Funds:
- Type in "Not Applicable or N/A" in both signature areas.
- If this signature line is left blank, the Pre-TA form will be returned to the preparer.
- International Travel
- A Dean or Director Signature required.
- A Vice President, Provost, or President's Office signature is required.
- Sponsored Programs Signature
- International Travel funded by a sponsored program:
- A sponsored program signature is required.
- International Travel is NOT being funded by a sponsored program:
- Type in "Not Applicable or N/A"
If this signature area is left blank, the Pre-TA form will be returned to the preparer.
NOTE: The Travel Office cannot determine whether indexes are state appropriated funds OR sponsored program funds.
TA Number and Preparer Information and Section 1 and 2:
- These sections should have automatically filled in when the Pre-TA form was completed.
Section 4A Post-Travel Reimbursement for Private Auto
This section must be filled out if a private auto was used and mileage is being reimbursed.
- Please see the Transportation section of the Travel Procedures..
Section 4B Post-Travel Reimbursement
- Record expenses (including per diem) that were incurred or paid for PERSONALLY. Do not include:
- Items paid by purchase requisition,
- Items paid for by a department Travel Card,
- Items paid for by a department P-Card,
- Items charged to an agency, or
- Items reimbursed previously on a Pre-TA form.
- Per Diem is allowed for meals.
- Attach itemized receipts for ALL actual costs, including:
- Meals not claimed through per diem,
- Airfare (paid for personally)
- ATM fees for travel advances when using a personal credit card including the Diner's MasterCard
- Individual transactions of $15 or more:
- Taxi, Bus, Shuttle
- Accumulated miscellaneous expenses that are less than $15 individually must be listed on a separate paper and attached to the Post-TA form. Receipts are not required.
- If a receipt has been lost, please fill out and attach the Missing Receipt form:
- If more than one guest is on a meal receipt, and not listed as others in party on the TA then please fill out and attach the Meals and Entertainment Form:
Section 4C Funding Approval
This funding approval section is only for post-travel expenses.
- Dollar amounts and/or percentages may be used for breaking out charges; dollar amounts must be used prior to percentages.
- Mileage must be accounted for separately. Fill in Box 4B first to populate the amount into 4A.
- The account administrator must sign his/her approval for each "different" index listed in this section.
Section 4D Post-Travel Reimbursement Approval
After the trip has been completed, the traveler and trip authorizer signatures (must be one supervisory level above the traveler, see section 3C) are required.
- If the trip is a no cost trip or cancelled authorizer signature not required.
- If the Traveler is unavailable to sign the post travel, please have him/her send a fax or email approving the dollar amount to the be reimbursed.
Summary of Total Cost of Trip
This section is for optional-use only for departments. It is a place where departments can capture all costs for the trip, not just expenses being reimbursed.
Information entered either Pre- or Post-TA will automatically transfer to the Summary. There is space to write and describe any other costs for the trip that may not be already covered previously in the Summary.Print the Post-TA form and obtain required signatures. Keep a copy for your department records. Send the original Post-TA form with all original receipts to the Travel Office at UMC 2400.