What do UCC AmeriCorps members do?

AmeriCorps members primarily work on natural resource projects (trail maintenance and construction, noxious weed removal, habitat restoration, and fence building) in crews of four to eight members. UCC AmeriCorps members are also active in environmental education, literacy tutoring, barn and historic building rehabilitation, National Service Days, and community volunteer projects.

Where do UCC AmeriCorps members serve?

Most members will be assigned to projects lasting one to three weeks in a variety of beautiful National Parks and Forests throughout the state of Utah.

What AmeriCorps positions does the UCC usually offer, when do they begin and end, and when are the application deadlines?

The UCC offers 1700-hour terms of service (around 40 hours a week) that run from mid-January to mid-November. These members are considered individual placements and work with various non-profit organizations throughout the state. For more information on these positions, go to Individual Placements.

The UCC also offers 450 and 900 hour terms of service (40 hours a week). These positions are available for crew members and crew leaders. Both these terms of service start at the end of May and last until mid-August and late October respectively. For specific dates and more details, go to Field Crews.

Does the UCC provide residential housing?

No. But campgrounds and showers are provided at no additional cost while serving on projects.

What housing opportunities are available in Logan?

Logan is home to over 50,000 residents and Utah State University. There are a variety of low-cost housing opportunities in the area. The UCC can give members contact information from other incoming members to go in on housing together. Members may also choose to stay in local area campgrounds. The Logan Herald Journal classified ads can be found at hjnews.com.

Can AmeriCorps members take vacations during the term of service?

UCC members may take unpaid vacation that does not count for service hours if UCC staff is notified during pre-season training week. The member must make up the approved time off in order to finish the appropriate term of service. Members who do not complete their term of service by the required date will not receive an education award.

Do AmeriCorps members need to have a car to work for the UCC?

No, the UCC provides all transportation outside of the Logan area. UCC staff strongly encourages AmeriCorps members to walk, bike, and use mass transportation to get around the Logan area.

Does the UCC supply members with health care insurance?

The UCC only provides health insurance for members serving 1700-hour terms of service. All other members are responsible for their own health insurance.

What is the living allowance for?

UCC members receive a living allowance on a monthly basis to cover living expenses such as food and housing. It is a volunteer stipend, not a paycheck.

When will I receive my AmeriCorps living allowance check?

UCC members are paid through Utah State University payroll on the 10th and 25th of each month.

What gear do AmeriCorps members need to bring to Logan?

All UCC members will need to bring a warm sleeping bag, personal tent, sturdy high top hiking boots, a large capacity backpack, rain gear, sun protection, and water bottles.

What clothing do AmeriCorps members need to bring?

UCC members should be prepared to dress for a variety of different weather conditions. Members are encouraged to have warm outdoor clothing and rain gear for all work projects.

Can AmeriCorps members take university classes?

No. Due to the time, place, and length of projects, it is advised that UCC members not take university classes. However, summer field crew members will earn 3 college credits as part of their term of service through the USU College of Natural Resources.